How To Use 'Bed Moat' Bed Bug Monitors
|What are these devices and why are they installed under bed and furniture legs?
• The 'Bed Moat' bed bug monitors are an essential part of every bed bug control program; they allow you to monitor bed bug activity.
• The 'Bed Moats' innovative design captures bed bugs leaving and/or coming into your bed.
How to install:
• The 'Bed Moat' monitors should be placed under each leg of the furniture where people sleep, rest or spend several hours a day (beds, couches, office chairs, arm chairs, etc.). The leg of the furniture should rest in the centre well of the device.
• Create an island by not letting any items hang off of the bed (i.e. comforters, sheets, clothes, etc…) or furniture and touch the floor at any point during the day or night. Move the bed and furniture away from the wall so there are no “bridges” for bed bugs to access a person other than through the 'Bed Moat'.
• The 'Bed Moat' should remain in place for a minimum of 30 days to assist in monitoring for bed bugs, however it is recommended that you keep it indefinitely for continuous bed bug monitoring.
• Furniture should continue to be pulled away from the wall and do not allow any objects on furniture or any bedding to contact the floor or wall.
• The 'Bed Moat' should be checked on a regular basis for bed bugs. The outer moat will contain bed bugs that are approaching the bed/furniture from the room. The inner well will contain bed bugs climbing down from the bed/furniture.
• To remove bed bugs from device use a cotton ball with a small amount of cornstarch; Place the cotton ball and bed bug in a sealed plastic bag and immediately dispose in an outside container.
• Check the 'Bed Moat' devices periodically to make sure that they have not become or compromised in any way. If there is any sign of the device being cracked or broken; remove the device with care from under the legs of the furniture, as there may be bed bugs in it. Immediately place the device in a sealed plastic bag and immediately dispose in an outside container. Replace with a new device.
Discarding Bed Moat after installation:
• The 'Bed Moat' may contain live bed bugs. Therefore it is extremely important to handle the devices carefully to avoid coming into contact with live bed bugs.
• Before removing the devices, have several plastic bags ready for the 'Bed Moat'. Once the device is placed in bag, seal immediately and dispose in an outside container.
• For ongoing monitoring for bed bugs it is recommended that new devices be installed under the furniture/bed legs.