Bed Bug Treatment Preparation Form
Before the treatment begins, all occupants of the unit being treated are to leave and not enter for a minimum of 4 hours but preferably 6-8 hours after the technician arrives. Pets such as: dogs, cats, birds, hamsters, etc. should be removed from the suite before treatment begins and kept out for 6-8 hours. Aquariums can remain in place as long as the filtrations and aeration systems are turned off and the tank is adequately covered. Filtration and aeration equipment should be turned back on 6 hours after treatment.
To improve the results of the treatment the tenant is required to remove all clutter from the unit.
• All clothing items that are to be either placed in the dryer or laundered in the wash are to be placed in garbage bags, sealed and emptied directly into the machines. When the laundering cycles are complete, the clean laundry should be placed in NEW garbage bags, sealed and kept that way throughout the entire treatment process.
• The garbage bags used for transporting clothing articles to the laundry room should be
discarded with care as they may contain bed bugs.
• If water soluble bags are available they should be used to collect sheets and clothing and
put directly into the wash. This is strongly recommended for severe infestations.
• IMPORTANT: make sure you launder items in HOT water. Cold water will not kill the
bugs or their eggs.
• Clean clothes can be sanitized by placing them in the dryer on high for 30 minutes.
• Bed should be bare when the technician arrives. All bedding, slip covers, pillow cases, etc. must be removed prior to the tech arriving. Soiled clothing, blankets, comforters, and pillow cases, etc. should be washed in hot water (separate from all other laundry). Have clean bedding ready for use.
• The sheets, blankets, box spring skirts etc. should be laundered as per above.
• Pillows should also be placed in the dryer on high heat for 30 minutes.
Dressers & Night Tables:
• All clothing contents of all dressers are to be placed in garbage bags and placed in thedryer cycle on hot for a minimum of 30 minutes.
• All articles on top of dresser are to be removed.
• Dressers are to be completely empty for treatment.
• Bookshelves, nightstands or other furniture in the immediate area must be emptied so that the technician can treat the undersides of the furniture. Place all items in tightly sealed garbage bags and leave them in the room to be treated.
• Furniture and items should be moved at least 30 cm (12 inches) away from the walls to facilitate treatment of the baseboards.
• All closets including linen closets are to be emptied of all articles on the floor, shelving and hanging clothes.
• All clean articles should be placed in the dryer on high heat for a minimum of 30 minutes at 60o C.
• All soiled articles need to be washed in hot water and then dried in high heat.
• Please Note: Laundromat dryers have lower heat settings and may not heat up to 60o C.
Sofas & Chairs:
• All chair covers, throws and pillows must be laundered prior to treatment.
• All linen is to be laundered.
• All toys should be washed in soapy hot water.
• All plush, stuffed toys should be placed in dryer on high heat for 30 minutes.
Discarding of Old Mattresses and Furniture:
• The same should be done with old furniture.
All items should be taken directly to the dumpster.
• When discarding the above old furnishings, they should be first wrapped in plastic and sealed with duct tape to avoid the bugs falling off in the hallways.
• If you feel that your mattress or box spring is infested and you plan on throwing them out, Please use a box cutter or knife and make them unusable so that someone else doesn’t bring it back into the building and infests their apartment.